Saturday 5 January 2013

How long does it take to change to minimalist running?

After about a year, I can finally, easily run ten miles of trails in these:

Vibram FiveFingers Spyridon LS
More importantly, the following day I'm able to run again, so I'm able to recover fairly quickly too with the help of some compression socks and a bit of massage.

The transition to minimalist or barefoot running takes time, a long time. I've been at it for a year, and even now I still us cushioned shoes in amongst my minimalist shoes, to mix it up a bit, and to be able to continue running without the hard workout that minimalist shoes give.

That hard workout has also meant that I've needed more rest, something that I'm finally embracing. Only in the last few months have I been happy to not run, even when I'm desperate to, the rest really is worth it. Hitting the trails fresh after an extra day off feels so much better than hitting the trails tired and hurting; something that I've done for years.

Interestingly, when I slip my XT Wings back on for a run, they really do feel odd, with their "massive" cushioned heels. But it's easier to run farther in them, the cushioning really does help with that... maybe I'll try some cushioned zero drop shoes in the future.

But I'm very much "into" the raw connection that minimalist shoes give, once you're used to it, and can get the miles in that keep you content, I see no reason to run in anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment